Founded in Rome by visionary duo Nazareno Fonticoli, a Master Tailor, and his business partner Gaetano Savini, Brioni swiftly established a reputation as the go-to sartorial destination for the discerning Roman gentleman. Fonticoli and Savini’s partnership was a marriage of technical skill and creative entrepreneurship that would define Brioni’s heritage, and continues to drive the brand today.
The first Brioni store was on Via Barberini 79, in the heart of Rome, offering bespoke garments, handmade shoes, and accessories, in a range of exclusive materials, all executed to an impeccable standard. Brioni became synonymous with status, indicating the lifestyle of the international jet set. Society’s most prestigious and powerful, from Hollywood icons to heads of state, were queuing up to be dressed by the store’s artisan tailors.
As the brand went from strength to strength, the founders kept at the forefront of innovation by investing in a new form of production. In 1959, with a view to increasing capacity whilst maintaining a sartorial approach, Brioni opened an atelier in Penne, Abruzzo. From here, the company revolutionised high-end tailoring as we know it, by improving production capabilities whilst maintaining the brand’s trademark handmade quality.
Throughout its history the effortless Roman approach, flawlessly combined with unrivalled excellence in craftsmanship, has guided the House’s philosophy and been translated through the collections.
The innovative silhouettes eclipsed the conventional English style which had dominated the industry, transforming Brioni into the reference for Roman tailoring - an effortless ideal of elegance was established, and would become recognized worldwide.